Yes, this is going to be a movie review. Figured I would branch out and try something new, especially as this may possibly be something that I'm interested in doing for a career in the future.
But before I start, just let me say: I hate reviews.
Not all of them, of course, but most of them. Some are decent, but some are written by people who I can't imagine ever having a good time at a movie. Which just makes me wonder... why the hell would you write movie reviews if you don't like movies?
But I love movies, and I love superhero movies. I'll admit, I never got as into the Batman and Spiderman series as other people did, mainly because I wasn't a fan of the acting by some of the characters.
Regardless, I enjoy all of the superhero movies that I've seen, and that is because of what they are. Which is one fact that I think a lot of people need clarification on.
I never read the comics. I don't know the finer details of the character's backgrounds. I wish I did, and maybe one day I will read them all.
But so many people don't seem to understand that even in today's world of cinematic pseudo-realism, where moviemakers try to make every movie seem as if it could actually happen in real life, the leading characteristic of superhero movies is the fact that they're not realistic.
Any evil can be defeated, the hero has masses of untapped potential, the hero will win their battle and get the girl. That's old news. But from what I've heard, some people seem to be unaware of this age-old phenomena. One of the biggest complaints that I've heard is about how cheesy the movie is, and how predictable is it, etc., etc.
That's part of the glory.
When I go to see a superhero movie, I'm not wondering at how the story will turn out. I know that once the villain is introduced, he may get worse and seem to be erring on victory, but the hero will defeat him and save his country, or family, or whatever it is that's being threatened. My interest lies in how the artistic aspects will play out. The script has to be good, even if it is direct; the fights must be well choreographed, and the special effects convincing.
One review I read said that "Green Lantern uses so much CGI it's a wonder anyone bothered bringing a camera to the set." But isn't that what superhero movies are about? We all know the story, the flips and twists that fail to surprise us but not to entertain us. Knowing what you're going to see, why would you be disappointed that it delivers exactly what you're expecting?
But enough of me pointing out the inconsistencies in the complaints.
Green Lantern had some pretty strong things going for it.
First off, I liked the character development. True, the movie took some compression and modification in order to make an engaging screenplay out of the original story, but they still did a good job of telling you who the characters were, and what their relationship was to one another.
It could have used a little more time in the development of the conflict, as I felt that the succession from discovering a new and imminent threat to it's destruction was a little rushed, but they did what they could without adding too much length to the movie.
There was more than one side to Hal's character. He had fear, he had strength, he had devotion. And between the script and Ryan Reynolds' acting, that was all demonstrated very well.
Reynolds did a fantastic job. Obviously, as a superhero, you have to look the part, and he most certainly did. But Reynolds took it one step farther and fit the part perfectly through his actions, as a good actor should. He had the perfect facial expressions, and dynamite delivery of not only the cocky wit that he's known for, but the more serious and dramatic lines as well. Even those who didn't appreciate or approve of the rest of the movie would have to admit that between Reynolds, Blake Lively, and Peter Sarsgaard (the villain,Hector) the acting was undoubtedly worth watching.
They're afraid of the color yellow. They use the color green to fight evil. Their armor grows onto their bodies in times of trouble. They can create anything using their will.
Is it ridiculous? Of course. It is a movie that fit perfectly into the superhero parameters laid out for it?
Most definitely.
No comments:
Post a Comment